Saturday 13 November 2010

Human Footprint/ My ecological footprint

What is Sustainability? Sustainability in my mind is taking what we are using now but to be environmentally friendly by using what we have without jeporadising Earth and the potential for future generations. needs.

What is a human footprint? Your human footprint is you impact on the Earth. Everybody impacts the Earth in some way and that is what they you call a human footprint.

My human foot print calculation: After I used both human foot print calculation sites on the Grd. 7 blog I figured out my human footprint and my family's human footprint as a whole. So in total my ecological footprint is: 11.78 hectares, meaning that if everyone lived the same way I do we would need 6.47 Earths. As for my families ecological footprint if we continue living the way we do just my family alone would need 2.5 Earths.

How could you lesson your ecofootprint? Well we are moving to senjak so I'll be walking to school which is one thing that will lesson my eco footprint. Also I don' t always remember to turn off light and Isometimes leave the water running so if I made real effort to turn off appliences like that that would also probably make an impact on my eco food.

Kinda scary but interesting facts FOR SOME OF THESE FACTS THEY ARE ONLY FOR THE STATES THESE EXPERIMENT/OBSERVATIONS WE COMPLETED IN THE STATES:

- In the period of about 2 years on average 1 baby will use about 3,769 dypers!

- Over the period of your entire life you will drink about 13,056 pints of milk!

- You will probably eat about 19,826 eggs, 20,000 potatoes, 4,376 loves of bread, 11,196 apples, 5,067 bananas, 12,088 oranges!

- Every second there are 350 slices of bread eaten in the USA

- Last year in the USA 47 billion hamburgers.

- In an average American teens life they will eat 14,518 candy bars.

- Also did you know that most people...: take about 28,433 showers, use 156 toothbrushes, 656 bars of soap, 389 toothpaste tubs, and 198 bottle's of shampoo is what an average American uses in their lifetime?
Now think about all that water which mean you use more than 700,000 gallons of water in your life and produce 567 gallons of sewage in your life (now that's disgusting)


No comments:

Post a Comment